Merry Christmas Eve, everyone! Did you check out Joy’s incredible Peppermint Ice Cream Cane Lane Cake recipe yesterday! Beautiful! I can’t wait to see what other creations come out of Joy’s kitchen in the coming months.
If you read my Betty Crocker’s Christmas post earlier this month, you already know about my cookbook collection – and how it has gotten quite a bit smaller over the last few years. One of the books I did not give away is Simply Classic by The Junior League of Seattle. This is one of my go-to cookbooks for entertaining and the recipes are just what the title says – Simply Classic! If you don’t already own a copy, I suggest you order one… a perfect Christmas gift for yourself!
Christmas Salad – adapted from the Simply Classic Cookbook –
- 8 cups organic spinach leaves, cleaned and dried
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachio nuts (my addition)
- 4 Tbsp. cranberry juice concentrate
- 4 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Stem spinach and tear into bite sized pieces. Place spinach in a large salad bowl. Add onion avacado and onion.
- Make the salad dressing. Combine cranberry juice concentrate, vinegar, mustard, pepper and oil in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake until well blended. Drizzle dressing over salad.
- Sprinkle pomegranate seeds and pistachio nuts over salad, toss gently, and serve.
- Or, serve on individual plates. Toss the spinach and onions with dressing. Place salad on individual plates and top with avocado, pomegranate seeds, and pistachio nuts and drizzle each plate with a little additional dressing.