Have you ever participated in a recipe exchange? They are a lot like the chain letters we used to try to avoid in the 80’s (and probably long before that!). With the advent of e-mail came the “send this to 10 friends and wait to see what you’ll receive in a week” e-mails. As much as I’d like to say I always played along, I didn’t. Honestly, I don’t think many of you did, either. Anyway, I did have a REALLY good experience with a recipe exchange and that’s where this recipe came from.
These deliciously moist, tender and juicy pork tacos are called, “Chile Lime Pork with Carrot-Lime Escabeche” and they came to me in the form of an e-mail recipe from my friend, Colleen. Sadly, just like just about every other recipe I “save” in my e-mail, this one got lost in the shuffle until last night. Both the guys I served this to were VERY happy with me, so I’d highly recommend dusting off your slow-cooker and giving this a try. Cinco de Mayo is coming up, and these should definitely be on your menu for next weekend.
Here are a few other ideas for Cinco de Mayo:
- ¼ cup medium heat chili powder
- 1 T. ground coriander
- 1 T. salt
- 3 lb. boneless pork butt or shoulder, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- CARROT-LIME ESCABECHE
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into matchstick-sized pieces
- ½ small red onion, sliced thinly
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- Mix the chili powder, coriander and salt together on a large plate. Roll pork in mixture, taking up all of the seasoning. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Chop and store the tomatoes, garlic and lime juice in a container overnight.
- Place the pork and tomato mixture in a slow-cooker and cook on high for 8-10 hours.
- At least an hour before serving, mix the carrots, onion, ½ cup lime juice, oil, cilantro and salt together and allow to marinate to blend flavors.
- Serve the pork with the Carrot-Lime Escabeche, sour cream, Cotija cheese, salsa and corn tortillas.