Last night was The Amazing Race night! Our friends, Rob and Cathy, join us every Sunday night to cheer on our favorite couples, and jeer at the ones that production obviously doesn’t want to let go because they make for such
good addictive television (Rachel and Brendon!). Seriously, Phil is the reason I watch! He’s just SO cool!
Anyway, I made this Chicken Picadillo with Quick Pickled Carrots and Jalapenos for dinner and it was DE-licious. It’s an easy, casual, yet impressive, dinner that you can prepare ahead of time. I started mine at 11am, then took the doggies swimming while the chicken and stock simmered, then finished it all off when I got home. Seriously, if you like Chicken Tacos, you’ll LOVE this!
- 1 qt. chicken stock
- 1 lb. chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and then into thin slices
- 1 clove elephant garlic, chopped fine
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, with liquid
- 1 envelope Chicken Taco Seasoning
- 1Tbsp. Dried basil
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced on the bias
- 2 jalapeño peppers, most seed removed, sliced on the bias
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ cups white vinegar
- In a Dutch Oven, cook the chicken in the chicken stock. Add the onion, garlic and roasted peppers. Let simmer for at least 30-40 min.
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar and vinegar to a simmer just long enough to dissolve the sugar. Add the carrots and jalapeños. Cover and simmer for one hour. Remove from heat and let cool. Store in a glass jar for up to be week.
- Using two forks, shred all of the chicken in the stock (or pull the chicken out, place it on a cutting board, shred it and return it to the stock). Add chicken taco seasoning and basil and simmer for 10-20 more min.
- Serve in warmed, hard taco shells with shredded cheese, guacamole and pickled jalapeños and carrots.