My new favorite creation is this Caramelized Onion Burger stuffed with Blue Cheese. Yes, the Arugula, Edamame & Fennel Salad I made earlier this week was pretty delicious, but this burger was just crazy good.
I wanted to make stuffed blue cheese burgers with caramelized onions on top, but then I had an idea… why not puree the caramelized onions and stir them directly into the meat? I was hoping the onions would keep the extra-lean ground beef moist and add a touch of sweet onion flavor – and I was right! And there’s more… fresh basil, oregano and thyme flavoring every bite, and blue cheese just oozing out all over everything.
Here’s a suggestion. Start the weekend off with a big, beautiful burger! TGIF.
|Caramelized Onion Burger Stuffed with Blue Cheese|
- 2 lbs. extra lean ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs (oregano, basil, thyme)
- 1 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 4 oz. good quality blue cheese
- 6 hamburger buns
- avacado, tomato, arugula, mustard, mayo and other condiments of your choosing
- Slice the onion thinly. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sugar and reduce heat to medium low. Sauté the onions, stirring frequently, until they are golden brown and well caramelized – about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When onion has cooled, place it in a small food processor and pulse to a coarse puree.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground beef, worcestershire sauce, fresh herbs, black pepper and the onion. Mix well.
- Divide the meat into 12 equal portions.
- Flatten each of the portions into patties – about 1/2″ thick (do not make them too thin).
- Place 1 heaping Tbsp. of blue cheese in the center of 6 patties.
- Top each with one of the remaining 6 patties and pinch the edges to seal.
- Refrigerate the patties for 1/2 hour.
- Grill the burgers until they are cooked to your liking.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns with avocado, tomato, arugula or lettuce, and your other favorite burger condiments.