I’ve finally found it! The PERFECT, EASY WEEKNIGHT DINNER recipe that makes everyone (especially my 6 and 8 year old nieces) happy. It seems to have made it to our table at least four or five times in the past month, so I feel like it’s time to share it with you. I think it’s perfect because 1) I usually have all of the ingredients on hand*, 2) less than an hour from the time I think of it it’s on the table, 3) baked chicken is relatively healthy, 4) it’s scrumptious!
*Buttermilk freezes well, so I often have some in the freezer, but an acceptable substitute is 2 cups milk + 2 Tbsp. lemon juice or white vinegar. Mix thoroughly and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 package Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Mix
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 lb. chicken breasts or thighs, boneless and skinless
- Whisk together the buttermilk, salt and dressing mix. Place the chicken pieces into the marinade and refrigerate for 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Stir together the bread crumbs and cheese then spread them out on a foil-covered baking sheet. Lightly mist the crumbs with olive oil and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Pour the bread crumbs onto a rimmed plate or into a bowl.
- Increase the heat of the oven to 450°F. Lightly spray the foil on the baking sheet with pan coating. Remove the chicken pieces, one at a time, from the buttermilk marinade allowing the excess to drain off. Roll each piece in the bread crumbs then place on the baking sheet.
- Place the tray on the lower rack and bake for 10 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F, move the tray to the top shelf, and bake until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F, about 10 more minutes.
- Serve with BBQ sauce or ranch dressing for dipping.