I had a request for another buttermilk recipe. This delicious cake has all of the flavors of Fall – with spicy cloves and juicy apples. It takes only about 10 minutes to assemble and it tastes great fresh out of the oven. I made it about two hours ago and four of us ate the whole thing. Enjoy!
PS – Another Autumn variation would be to substitute pears for the apples and nutmeg for the cloves.
|Recipe: Buttermilk Apple Cake||
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 4 tablespoons butter – room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 medium apple, peeled and sliced (I used organic Honeycrisp)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar (for topping)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Oil and flour a 9″ cake pan (or spray with non-stick spray)
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and cloves. Set aside. In an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Gradually add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk, alternating, until the batter is mixed together and smooth. Do not over mix.
- Peel the apple, cut into quarters, core it, and slice it into thin pieces.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and arrange the apple slices on top. Sprinkle the apples with 2 Tbsp. sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cake springs back to the touch and pulls away slightly from the sides of the pan.
- You can eat this plain, sprinkle it with powdered sugar, or serve it with whip cream or ice cream. Serves 8.