It’s almost here: Super Bowl weekend! What’s not to love about a weekend filled with great commercials, spectacular halftime entertainment, football and snack-y food?! Alright, I’ll be honest. It’s really all about the food 😉 For some reason, I don’t feel guilty about a Super Bowl buffet that doesn’t include a veggie tray. It’s a day to throw out all the rules and enjoy some junk food.
You would’ve loved to see Mary and I discussing our ideas for this post. We were giddy just thinking about all the food we could make! Our shared, secret food craving is spicy, crispy chicken sandwiches, so when I mentioned Buffalo Chicken Pizzette (plural for pizzetta, or mini pizza) we just about high-fived each other. “I’ll use a buttermilk biscuit for the crust!” I exclaimed. “Oh, and you could top it with blue cheese dressing and diced celery,” Mary added. It’s SO fun to have a friend to create fun food with!
All of our dreams came true this afternoon when I pulled these delicious creations from the oven and tried my first bite… S-u-c-c-e-s-s! (and then I quickly polished off two of these lil’ babies – yum!).
And so, without further ado, I give you this spicy, buttery and crunchy creation: Buffalo Chicken Pizzette!
- 1 can Buttermilk Biscuit dough
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut in half crosswise to ¼" thick)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ cup Frank's Red Hot Sauce
- ⅓ cup melted butter
- ½ cup blue cheese dressing
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large zip-top bag, combine flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika.
- Place the chicken breasts into the bag of flour and shake to coat the chicken well.
- Heat the olive oil in a large, non-stick skillet.
- Place the floured chicken into the skillet and let cook over medium-high heat, without turning, for about 8 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, stir together the hot sauce and melted butter.
- Dice the chicken into ¼ inch pieces then toss them in the hot sauce mixture.
- Cut each biscuit in half crosswise. Press each piece into a circular shape with a slightly raised edge on a Silpat- or parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Top each biscuit with about 1 Tbsp. hot sauce mixture and 2 Tbsp. diced chicken mixture.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes.
- Top with a dollop of blue cheese dressing and diced celery.