Scar-rrrry! Eyeballs staring up at you from a bowl of rich, red Roasted Tomato Soup.
Bloody Eyeball Soup
Recipe Type: Soup
Cuisine: Halloween Treat
This soup is also yummy with a grilled cheese sandwich on the side.
- 2 cans whole, peeled tomatoes (28 ounces each, not packed in puree)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. dark brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup shallots, minced
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half
- 2 Tbsp. brandy or dry sherry, optional
- Cayenne pepper
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice. Remove seeds and press out excess liquid.
- Place tomatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet, sprinkle with brown sugar, and roast in the oven at 450°F for about 30 minutes, until the liquid is evaporated and the tomatoes start to color.
- Remove the cooled tomatoes from the foil and set aside.
- In a large stockpot, melt the butter.
- Once the foaming subsides, cook the shallots, tomato paste and allspice until shallots are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour evenly over the shallots and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute to cook the flour.
- Whisking constantly, pour the chicken broth into the pot. Add the reserved tomato juice and tomatoes. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the temperature and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Use a stick blender to puree the mixture until smooth, OR working in batches, blend the soup in a blender until smooth.
- Finish with fat-free half and half and brandy, if using. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with bocconcini stuffed with green stuffed olives to look like eyeballs.