This recipe comes from our good friend and baker extraordinaire, Mary Jordan. After a taste test, we named this recipe “Best Ever Chocolate Cupcakes” because they are so easy to make AND they taste like they are made from scratch.
As a mom of two young children (they are teens now), I was OFTEN called upon to make cupcakes for one event or another.
I wanted to find a recipe that was easy, yet sure to impress. This chocolate cupcake recipe starts with a cake mix but the cupcakes turn out so moist and dense you (and everyone else) will think they are made from scratch.
I adapted this recipe from the “Darn Good Chocolate Cake” recipe found in The Cake Mix Doctor cookbook by Anne Byrn.
Of course, a good frosting is critical, and as everyone loves cream cheese frosting, this is usually my frosting of choice. My suggestion if peanut allergy is not an issue – Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting. Kids and adults will devour these easy-to-make cupcakes!
- 1 Chocolate cake mix
- 1 package, 3.9 oz instant chocolate pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1¼ cups chocolate chips or any chocolate chopped
- Frosting of your choice - we recommend 3 Tbsp. peanut butter added to your favorite cream cheese frosting recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredient except chocolate chips on low for 1 minute, scrape bowl and continue to mix on medium for 2 minutes. Add chocolate chips and mix till blended.
- Use cupcake liners or grease cupcake tin.
- Fill about half full with batter.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
- Makes approximately 24 cupcakes.
- Pipe on desired frosting.