Cream cheese frosting is versatile and easy to make. Use this recipe to frost a 9″ x 13″ sheet cake, or a batch of cupcakes. If you are frosting a double layer cake, double the quantities below.
Basic Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe Type: Frosting, Dessert
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Cream butter, cream cheese and vanilla with an electric mixer until well combined. Slowly add in the sifted powdered sugar and continue mixing until the frosting is well combined.
- If the frosting is too thick, thin it down with a little water.