I was feeling a little blue today. When I opened my eyes this morning (mind you, it’s JUNE), it was gray and rainy and 40-some degrees. Well, it is Seattle, after all, right? No! I mean – yes, it’s Seattle, but don’t we have the right to a little sunshine and warmer weather in JUNE?!
Add to the weather the fact that I watched the final episode of The Killing last night. Did you watch it? Don’t they make Seattle look SO dark and rainy all the time? Are you as frustrated as I am about all the unfinished details after watching loyally for two full seasons?!
Well, when I’m feeling blue, I need comfort food (i.e. cheese!). And, I don’t want to have to get dressed and go to the store for ingredients. In my refrigerator I found a container of ricotta, some parmesan, a yellow bell pepper and some pesto. Perfect! I’ve been wanting to try a baked ricotta recipe inspired by Easy Peasy Organic.
Here’s the view from my kitchen as I waited for my cheese-y lunch to bake:
With some salty, cheese-y, pesto-covered Baked Ricotta cup in my belly, I looked at those ferry boats with optimism. There is some blue sky out there, and summer doesn’t really start until Thursday! EnJOY!
- 1¾ cup ricotta
- 1 cup parmesan, grated
- 1 Tbsp. basil olive oil (optional)
- 1 bell pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 1 Tbsp. pesto
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cheeses and olive oil, if using.
- Slice the pepper into four equal pieces.
- Line four, large muffin tins or ramekins with parchment paper.
- Layer each of the four cups with cheese, then pepper, then cheese.
- Sprinkle the top of each cup with about 1Tbsp. of parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, or until puffed and golden.
- Meanwhile, stir together the pesto, olive oil and lemon zest to drizzle on top of the the baked ricotta before serving.