Asian Lettuce Cups are low-carb, healthy, delicious and virtually gluten-free. Serve these as a light lunch, a starter course, or a low-calorie dinner.
Asian Lettuce Cups
Low carb, refreshing and virtuallly gluten free - these refreshing lettuce cups are easy to make and fun to eat.
Author: A Passionate Plate
Recipe type: Starter or Main Dish
- FOR THE FILLING:
- 2 cups chopped shitake mushroom caps (approximately 6 oz.)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 13 oz. ground chicken or turkey
- 1 8 oz. can water chestunts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
- ¾ cup thinly sliced green onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- ¼ cup chopped dry roasted peanuts, plus extra for garnish
- 1 tsp. salt
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 4 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. Sriracha hot chile sauce
- FOR THE CUPS:
- 8 to 10 Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves, cleaned and dried
- Heat vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. When oil is shimmery, add mushrooms and sautee them for about 5 minutes until they are tender. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set them aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chicken (or turkey), garlic and ginger to the pan and stir over medium heat until the chicken is cooked and crumbly, about 5 minutes. Season the chicken mixture with salt to taste.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce by combining the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar and sriracha sauce together and whisking to combine.
- When the chicken mixture is cooked, add it to the mushrooms, along with the green onions, cilantro, water chestnuts, and ¼ cup of the peanuts. Add ½ of the sauce (reserve the rest for dipping) and stir gently to combine all of the ingredients.
- Set clean lettuce leaves on individual plates and scoop ½ cup of chicken filling onto each. Sprinkle with extra peanuts if desired.
- To eat, fold the lettuce leaf around the filling, dip in the sauce and eat with your fingers.