Marinated cucumbers are refreshing any time of the year. During the winter, choose English cucumbers, if available, for best results.
Asian Cucumber Salad
Refreshing cucumber salad tossed with with that great '4-S' dressing of Asian flavors: Soy, sesame (both seeds and oil), sugar and salt! Add the tartness of rice vinegar, top with a cooked egg and you have a classic Asian cucumber salad that can be enjoyed any time of the day.
Author: A Passionate Plate (from Helen Oswald)
Recipe type: Salad
- 4 cups cucumber, peeled, seeds removed, and sliced into half moons
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 1 cooked egg for garnish, optional (cook omelet style & slice thinly)
- In a large bowl, combine the cucumbers with salt. Stir gently and let the cucumbers sit for 20 minutes. After the cucumbers have marinated with the salt, drain off any excess juice from the bowl.
- Combine the sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. Mix well.
- Place the cucumbers in a serving bowl and pour the soy sauce mixture evenly over the cucumbers. Gently stir to coat evenly. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and cook egg (if desired) for garnish.